- ½ Cup Coconut Oil
- 3-4 Tbsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tbsp Xylitol, blended into a fine powder (plus more to taste) (optional)
- 5 drops of Peppermint
Baking soda: Neutralizes acid-loving bacteria in your mouth, responsible for causing cavities. Baking soda also helps to whiten teeth, remove plaque, and maintains healthy gums.
Xylitol: A Natural sweetener, sweetens the toothpaste, and has cavity-fighting properties of its own!
Essential oils: If you choose the right essential oils, you can create a strong antibacterial toothpaste. We suggest using Grapefruit oil, Peppermint oil,
or Lemongrass oil.
- Melt the coconut oil on a low heat. I used a double-boiler method by putting the coconut oil in the glass jar that I use to store my toothpaste, and then placing the jar into a pan of lightly, simmering water.
- Remove from heat once melted, and stir in baking soda.
- In a coffee grinder or blender, blend the xylitol into a fine powder so that it easily dissolves.
- Add the xylitol--Feel free to add more if you'd like it sweeter.
- Add Peppermint Essential Oil.
- Once the mixture has solidified, give it another good stir (the baking soda may be settled on the bottom.